Thursday, September 3, 2015

Visceral Response


This picture has quite the story. Just recently, I was able to visit some absolutely stunning mountain towns in the state of COLORado. As we were exploring one day, we came across the abandoned town of Gilman. Apparently, in the 1980's, this town's water supply was contaminated by a nearby mine and everyone was forced to evacuate. They never returned.

I had never visited a town that was so desolate yet so alive at the same time. As I was strolling around, I realized how much potential this town has or did have. We ended up finding a skate park inside one of the houses, an old gas pump that was extremely weathered away, and so many other amazing things that just didn't even seem real. I kept asking myself why nobody had come back to this town to revamp it or why they haven't cleared things out yet. My mind was literally blown. I had never seen anything like this place before.

I'm a writer and when I'm heavily inspired I like to write. I was already so impressed by everything I was seeing in this little abandoned town and then... I happened to come across this typewriter that was just sitting right there, untouched, with an amazing view of the Rocky Mountains right behind it. I fell to my knees when I saw it.

This picture is how beauty feels to me. When I look at pictures, I see more of a story and an experience rather than noticing lines, contrast, shape, and things of that nature. However, now that I'm actually trying to notice how the vocabulary of design plays a huge part in the visual communication process, the lines feel so beautiful to me. I just decided I wanted to understand how the lines are a part of the story. The lines on the typewriter are what steal me away into the allure of the mountains. I picture myself here, alone, doing what I do best; writing. Mountains are a part of me and in this area of COLORado, they are stupefying. The lines on the mountain range are mysterious. This whole place is mysterious. The texture of the green grass and the focus on them is one of my favorite parts about this picture. The texture on the wilted typewriter looks urban and dull, yet so vibrant.

What really took my breath away was the amount of space in this open range of the Rocky Mountains. Nobody around. Nobody to answer to. I couldn't see one person for as far as I could look. It was a place I just wanted to let my thoughts out. Everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment